Website background image

Lessons in schools

We provide instrumental and vocal lessons to all state schools and academies in the county as well as some independent schools. We also offer National Curriculum class teaching.

Information for Parents

What kind of lessons are available?

NMPAT offers schools the opportunity to provide instrumental lessons on a range of instruments: Strings, Brass, Woodwind, Guitar, Percussion, Keyboard and Voice. Tuition is not normally provided before Year 3, though some younger children may be suitable for Violin or recorder tuition. Most schools make a charge for this tuition which is payable by parents to the school.

All instrumental teaching staff are well qualified, experienced musicians who have been subject to a safer recruitment process and enhanced Criminal record check.

Teachers are regularly observed and receive training throughout the year to help them maintain and develop their teaching skills.

My school doesn't offer lessons on the instrument we want - what can we do?

To offer lessons with a specialist teacher at your local school, the Trust needs a formal request from the school and there would normally need to be at least 6 students committed to taking the lessons. If you contact your Headteacher they may be willing to see if other students are interested.  This would be a school decision as instrumental lessons are not a statutory requirement. 

We can offer individual lessons outside of school hours, please click on the link below for more information: 

Do I need to buy an instrument?

All instruments are loaned free of charge for the first year. For students benefiting from an extended loan we ask parents to consider a voluntary hire fee of £20.00 per term to help cover the cost of instrument repair. Donation payments can be made at the Parent Pay Shop. Information about the purchase of Woodwind and Brass Instruments.

You would normally need to provide guitars and keyboards (some schools do carry a small stock of instruments, it may be worth asking at your school before you buy).

Loaned instruments

Parents are required to complete and sign a loan form taking responsibility for any instrument loaned to them.  If an instrument needs to be repaired, it must be handed back to the teacher who will arrange for this to be done. 

Parents should not make any arrangements for instruments to be repaired or attempt their own repairs.  Parents will be charged for the cost of a replacement instrument if it is lost or accidentally damaged, however minor damage incurred through fair wear and tear will not be charged for.

If you have been loaned an instrument, you will be asked to complete an instrument loan form:

What happens if a teacher misses a lesson?

Teachers are required to keep accurate records and sign in when they arrive at school. 

Lessons are delivered for 33 weeks across a school year, this gives 5 weeks when teachers can visit schools to make up any missed lessons. 

Where appropriate, schools are refunded for missed lessons at the end of the school year.

Information for Schools

Service Level Agreements for all schools will be circulated at the beginning of the Summer term for the following Academic Year.

Terms and Conditions

​Other than in exceptional circumstances, this Agreement is for an academic year. Requests for alterations of contract within the academic year will be agreed where capacity allows (for increases) or where alternative work can be found for the teacher (for decreases). Requests for reductions in time will be considered sympathetically with a half term’s notice.

​Small group instrumental/vocal teaching will be provided for 33 weeks per academic year and reasonable opportunity must be given for the making up of any missed lessons. Dates for projected chargeable weeks will be notified in advance of the academic year.
Whole Class National Curriculum teaching is charged on a 33 week basis with an expectation that NMPAT teachers will be available to the school each week of the year that they are required. Any delivery beyond 33 weeks will be added to the following September invoice.

​ ​​Acceptable levels of delivery

  • Standard small group instrumental/vocal teaching: up to a maximum of 6 students per hour.
  • Upper Strings in their first year: up to a maximum of 8 students per hour.
  • First Access Plus (term 2) projects: up to a maximum of 12 students per hour
  • National Curriculum Teaching and First Access Projects: Whole class

​Teachers are supplied to schools principally to provide instrumental/vocal tuition.  When students are unavailable, teachers will use this time for lesson planning, preparation and assessment.

​Invoices for teaching time will be sent to schools by the third week of a chargeable period (11 weeks) to be paid by the sixth week.

If amendments or adjustments are notified by the sixth week a new invoice may be issued at the request of the school. Any alterations beyond this point will be treated as an adjustment to the subsequent invoice.

The Trust reserves the right to charge a late payment fee of £50 or 2% of the invoice amount (whichever higher) for late payments.

​Where lessons are missed through the fault of the Trust, for example in cases of a teacher’s sickness, no charge will be made.  However, schools must (as far as possible and by negotiation) be prepared to accept teachers on an alternative date to make up lessons to the maximum of 33 per year. Where schools are unable to accept their instrumental/vocal teachers because of unavoidable closures (e.g. training days), at least a month’s notice should be given in writing to the Music and Performing Arts Trust Office. No charge will then be made. 

Any refund for lost teaching time will be made at the end of an academic year by a credit against the Autumn Term invoice, or where a school is opting out of its Service Contract at the end of a school year, by means of a refund.

​Student absence and un-notified school closures, as specified above, will not entitle schools to a refund

Schools may, at their discretion, pass on some, or all, of the costs for instrumental/vocal tuition to students/parents or levy an administration charge. Whole-class activity cannot be charged for.

​By accepting tuition the school agrees to share data necessary for NMPAT to report to Arts Council England.

In cases of dispute schools should make direct contact with the Trust’s Chief Executive.

General Expectations

Expectations of Teachers

Schools can expect their instrumental/vocal teachers to be willing to:

  • Discuss progress with parents and teachers
  • Assist with pupil selection
  • Timetable students in collaboration with school and student needs
  • Help with GCSE, AS and A-Level Music candidates
  • Support schools with concerts as far as possible
  • Prepare students for graded examinations
  • Write reports on students annually in either a school or NMPAT format
  • Help and facilitate the loan, maintenance or purchase of musical instruments

Expectations of Schools

For the instrumental/vocal teaching to be effective it is hoped schools will ensure that there is a designated person who can:

  • Offer a direct line of communication with the NMPAT teacher and make them feel valued as a member of staff in the school
  • Discuss the way in which time will be used over the year and assist with the setting of an appropriate timetable
  • Ensure the NMPAT teacher is aware of relevant dates in the school calendar, e.g. school trips, concerts, deadlines for reports
  • Provide the NMPAT teacher with all relevant medical and social information about pupils being taught and Health and Safety information relating to your site
  • Offer systems to ensure pupils attend lessons regularly and promptly
  • Ensure there is an appropriate space for teaching quipped with sufficient music stands
  • Where staff are in school for an extended period of time, consider the offer of reasonable breaks during the visit.

Expectations of Students

Students must provide (where appropriate) their own music books, strings and reeds, as advised by the instrumental/vocal teacher.  Every effort will be made to offer students the free loan of an instrument (subject to availability and not including guitars, keyboards and drum kits) particularly in the early stages of study.

Specific expectations for schools requiring National Curriculum Classroom Teaching

To enable effective practice, schools must provide a context and suitable learning environment for classroom lessons to take place by:  

  • Providing an appropriate classroom  for music making to take place
  • Providing an appropriate range of pitched, un-pitched classroom instruments, sound makers and beaters along with their location
  • Providing access to white / smart board technology and speakers
  • Providing internet access, wi-fi codes  and any possible limitations i.e. filters
  • Liaising with the teacher about any specific requirements connected with the curriculum, to enable effective planning to be carried out e.g. termly topics / cross curricular themes
  • Providing class registers
  • Advising the music teacher about any pupils with special learning needs, which may affect the learning of those pupils
  • Informing the music teacher who is the school’s child protection and safeguarding, designated person and providing a school policy

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Related pages

Please Add Some Content

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Useful links

Please Add Some Content
NMPAT receives support from:
NMPAT is a company Limited by Guarantee (Company No. 7738151) and a registered charity (Charity No. 1145643)